CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, February 28, 2009

Ethnic Issues

Today at school we had a little black history month performance and it sparked another question in my mind. Now, as i relate about this topic, do not think of me as a rascist. I just want to know why we recognize the african americans and no one else. I mean, i know that caucasions did bad things to them, but that is in the past. Everyone wants to keep going in with life and forgetting the past, so I just don't understand why we celbrate these things. There is no white history month, no asian awareness week. I believe that in order to fully overcome prejudices in this country we need to stop advertising on the past and look into the eyes of the future; Recognize that all sorts of people everywhere have made great strides in society and stop there. Seeing one enother as equal does not include flashing cultures in one another's face. So then, i ask the readers for their opions; do you think we should celebrate cultural events on a wide scale. Of course, i know that this topic has many branches of controversy, some that i'm not willing to get in at the moment, like religion and whatnot. I just want to know what everyone else thinks. 

1 comments:

Unknown said...

I would like to say that I'm appalled at "Black" History month. It's sad, in my opinion that Native Americans have been so horrifically overlooked. We are in the shadows of our own history, the very foundation of this country. I guess if we would complain and holler 'racisim' every five seconds, we might have our own month, Tv channel, Movie channel, rights movements, marches, and maybe even have a holiday in our honor. I guess that is where pride takes place. The most honorable people are the quiet, unspoken, truly faithful souls that only wish for mankind to be equal.